Friday, June 15, 2007

Land of the odd

Having been away from Utah for over two years now, I've repressed forgotten just how strange of a place this is. Number one thing that I'd forgotten and noticed immediately? The overabundance of Hummers. One Hummer is an abundance, but these monsters are everywhere. Really? Because if you lived on top of a mountain then maybe, but only maybe, would a hummer be doable. But really? In the city? That block to church just won't do in a sedan.

I laughed out loud when I saw this yesterday. For those who aren't familiar with why there is a giant man in a suit holding a black book, it's a mormon missionary. Not at all uncommon in this area. Even funnier to me was when Karen (granmamama) told me he had been stolen awhile back.

This really has nothing to do with Utah, but was amusing nonetheless. Is that one word? We were driving along a fairly busy street, right by a senior activity center when this group of older folks started walking across the street. The woman in the black bermudas just kinda charged out. No crosswalk, no looking for cars, they just went. And they were SO. SLOW. Everyone saw them and stopped so there weren't any crushed wheel chairs, but I felt really bad because my first response was to laugh, but I didn't feel so bad when Karen started laughing at the exact moment I did.
And the best part...HAPPY FATHER'S DAY to Charles, Grandpa and Papa. There should be cards for the grandpa's, but honestly? I can't remember if they were mailed or not. No card for Charles. Maybe when I get a birthday card he'll get a Father's Day card. Love you anyway Charles. We miss you tons and hope that you getting to sleep to your heart's content for 3 weeks is a good present.
We're headed out tonight to Vegas, about 5 hours or so, and I'm not sure if I'll have computer access for the next week or so. Keep toes crossed that we're all safe and healthy. I can't wait to get to the beach! I'm sure I'll have tons and tons of pics when we get back.

5 comments:

Tonya said...

hope you have a brilliant time! Cant wait to see the pics :)

Anonymous said...

HAVE FUN!

Chastity said...

I take it you're not Mormon. For some reason, I always assume that everyone from Utah is, lol. Have a great time in Vegas!!

Kristin said...

In all of my years of living in the Land of Odd, I've never seen that statue before. That really is funny. Especially since it had been stolen!

Unknown said...

This post cracked me up... the hummers remind me of Big Love :)