Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Fat kids

Paisley and I went to the pool today. We just wanted to hang out in the kiddie pool, dump cups of water, and relax. Mind our own business. Our pool has an "adult swim," Basically meaning that the 16 year old lifeguards go inside and smoke pot for 25 minutes while all the little kids get bored and come into the kiddie pool. 25 minutes!!! I was a lifeguard (long long long time ago) once, and our adult swims were 10 minutes, and there was still a guard on duty to corral errant children. Reminds me of the time that I had to approach a little boy's mother because she was paying no attention to him, he was going down the big tunnel slide and I'd have to fish him out every time (and he was too small to be going down alone anyway), or when he wouldn't get out of the wading pool at break, and his mother yelled at me in the office because I was picking on her and her child because he had "special needs." No, she just wasn't paying any damn attention to her child and he was trying to drown himself. Another story, another time. 10 years later and that STILL makes me angry. Anyways, so yeah, 25 freaking minutes. These kids were getting bored. So a bunch came into the kiddie pool, and I (either from previous guard experience or just being a mother) asked them to get out. That it wasn't fair to the small children, or to everyone else at this pool. I had to say that at least 4 different times. The last time was to about 4 boys about 8 or 9ish. They were SO rude, I couldn't believe it. Rolling there eyes and back talking to me. Now, I wasn't being rude to them or yelling or anything, just told them politely that the kiddie pool is meant for children under the age of 6. Backtalking, faces, I couldn't couldn't couldn't believe how unbelievably rude these kids were. If I was like that when I was their age? I would've been knocked into the next year. Even 10 years ago when I guarded, kids weren't like that. Just incredible to me.

The other thing I noticed at the pool, besides the 16 year old high life guards, I was probably the skinniest person there. That's especially scary when almost everyone there is under the age of 10. Seriously. And I'm not teeny at all, just average. Kids weren't this fat when I was that age, because I remember picking on the fat kid. We don't even have a fast food restaurant within 15 miles, how do these kids get so fat? It definitely scares me, and makes me rethink our eating habits, especially because Paisley LOVES fries.

I don't have any new pics, so I'll put up some from a year ago.
She still loves to annoy the cats, and laugh hysterically.

7 comments:

Chastity said...

You know what's weird about this...I hear on TV all the time how obese kids are these days and how it's getting out of hand, but I'd say that out of my 96 students last school year (all ages 11 or 12...w/ a random 13 yr. old mixed in), there were probably only two kids that would be considered overweight. I've been wondering where all these fat kids they talk about actually live!! Now I know :).

Kristin said...

Ugh. I can't believe the attitudes some of these kids have too. It makes me wonder what kind of parenting goes on in their homes. I tell you though, if Logan ever acts that way, he will be one very sorry child. That's a promise.

And...I totally remember the last picture you posted! I'm sure I remember it because it's so funny with the cat in mid swat while P just laughs. That was a year ago? Already?!

Erin said...

I know what you mean about the kids these days. The kids at my brother's middle school are HORRIBLE. Cussing, back-talking and calling adults really horrid names...it's really gotten out of hand. I know we weren't like that when we were that age! What the hell is wrong with the world these days where kids are growing up w/ no manners???

Tonya said...

Kids are super rude these days its horrible.. you want to smack them in the chops! lol

There are plenty of overweight children but even worse it the children that are anorexic and dying because of peer pressure or parental influence.. that is scary!

Joanna said...

I don't understand how kids can talk like that, especially to adults. What are they being taught or rather not being taught at home. I hate to see this world in another 20 to 30 years when these back talking, rude children are grown up and running businesses, etc. Fat kids...They are all over. Not to mention the numbers of increasing over weight adults. The life expectency rate is really gonna drop in the years to come, if America doesn't get healthy!

Emma in Canada said...

I was going to say the same as Chas. In my daughter's school the majority of the kids are average (probably about 90-95%), there's a few chubby kids but there is only one child I can think of who would be considered obese. And he would be considered morbidly obese I am sure.

Kids are getting ruder, and mine would definitely get knocked into next week if they talked back to an adult. As much as they drive me crazy, they are very polite to other adults, which is one plus.

Anonymous said...

I am really enjoying your blog. Paisley (spelling??) is just adorable.
Kids are rude, no doubt, I totally agree with you there. I have to say, it disappointed me to read the "Fat Kids" post. I was a "fat kid" growing up (not obese but clearly not skinny). Kids don't come in to this world wanting to be fat. It has become a huge problem. but please keep in mind, you wouldn't want someone calling your little girl "fat" would you? I sincerely hope you never have to be the parent of an over weight child. It's heart wrenching.