Saturday, December 30, 2006

Who does that?

Charles and I had NO IDEA what we were in for, travelling with a 1 year old. We thought between the two of us, we'd be okay. We had the DVD player, lots of snacks, the carseat, her blanket, and we really thought she'd sleep. It started with the security check. Since we haven't flown for a year, I didn't realize just how strict they were about liquids (lip gloss, hand sanitizer, mascara, shoe insoles). It took them a good 15 minutes to dig through my purse. Got to the gate just as they started boarding, but of course, no preboards. Why???? Not only that, but we were at the back of the plane, and in seating group 2, as in groups 1, 2 and 3. Doesn't make sense to me. Let's push past all the people getting on, with our child, car seat and bags. Lugging all the stuff on board the tiny plane was fun, but the flight attendant at the back did not help. At all. Whatever, we struggled alone to get situated, along with the man and his two young children behind us. When we were finally done, I turned to the flight attendant and said, "Is there a bathroom back here?" She ROLLED HER EYES at me. ?????? Then moved and said really snottily, "are you gonna use it?" What the hell?

We get settled, Charles sitting next to Paisley since there were only 2 seats on each side. Between Paisley and the two year old boy behind her, it was pretty loud, but she really did quite well. It was a 2.5 hours flight, it was nap time, and I'm sure it was all over whelming. She cried a little, but really was okay. Towards the end of the flight it got worse, and I watch helplessly as Charles did EVERYTHING in his power to make her happy. Sometimes it just doesn't work. The lady in front of me turned to Charles and said "could you make her be quiet? She's cried the whole flight." And Charles, being the nice and polite guy he is, only said "no, she hasn't." I don't know if she didn't realize there were other kids, but I didn't care, I was furious. "She is ONE. How do you expect us to MAKE her stop crying? Do you have any suggestions?" She didn't bother to turn around and answer me though, which was probably a good thing because I was so angry I was shaking. I don't get that mad very often, but I was pissed. Charles told me later that if she could ask us to make P stop crying, then he wanted to ask her to stop being so fat. He tried to console me by saying she probably didn't have family and lived alone with 15 cats and a house that smells like piss.

And, the mature people we are, laughed at Charles' revenge. He was waiting to get the luggage, and the woman was waiting as well and asked for someone to get her bag off of the belt for her. Charles just ignored her and turned away. Okay, probably a little immature, but we felt justified.

And now I could go on and on about how could people expect a small child to be quiet, but I'm assuming that everyone that reads this blog will understand our frustration. Now I feel better to get that off of my chest. We're here in Utah, and I'm waiting for everyone to get back from dinner. I stayed back so P could go to bed, and I'm just so tired, I didn't really feel up to going out. Besides, I feel like all I've done over the past week has been eating!

4 comments:

Kristin said...

OMG! What airline did you fly on? It sounds like the flight attendant was a cow!

I got really mad for you when I read about the passenger & her comment. And I thought response that Charles gave you was perfect! Stop being so fat...I love it!!!!

OK, I'm like a third grader in these situations. But whatever :)

I hope your trip back is a million times better.

Tonya said...

that is horrible and yes what flight was it?? Sorry you had such a rotten experience.. mine was a little frustrating as well but we were on the flight for 8 hours but nobody was rude.. they were really helpful the entire flight.. and that was Air Canada.. Hope your flight back is alot better!

Anonymous said...

well you made it without bitch slapping that woman, and for that, I am proud of you! congrats on travels with a 1 year old, you are very brave souls in my book!

Anonymous said...

Sometimes I just hate people. They can be so stupid!